Tuesday, March 7th, 2023 (10:00 AM – 6:15 PM)
Wednesday, March 8th, 2023 (9:00 AM – 1:30 PM)
Thursday, March 9th, 2023 (9:00 AM – 1:30 PM)
FCFE (FBA Certified Field Expert)
Course for people who want to acquire knowledge in the installation of passive elements of FTTx access optical networks (outside plant), as well as the evaluation and main criteria for the choice of system elements and their acceptance protocols.
- Understand the generalities and selection criteria of passive optical network elements.
• Acquire theoretical/practical knowledge in the installation of passive elements of FTTx systems (backbone and distribution).
• Prepare students for the FCFE certification exam of the FBA LATAM Chapter
Target audience: Engineers, technologists and technicians related to fiber optic communications systems (installation, maintenance, operation, quality).
Methodology: Face-to-face or virtual (in partnership with authorized FBA academies).
Number of participants: minimum 10, maximum 50 (applies for face-to-face modality, subject to space availability).
Pre-requirements: FCFF Certification.
Course Approval: Pass with a minimum grade of 70% (certificate of attendance will be issued).
Module 1: Overview of passive elements and selection criteria for FTTx deployment.
- Fiber structure in optical cables (loose tube, tight buffer, ribbon).
- Outside plant optical cables:
- Aerial: ADSS, OPGW.
- Subway: duct, metallic armor, dielectric armor, microcables.
- Type of moisture ingress protection for optical cables (gel-filled, dry, totally dry).
- Important aspects to select ADSS cables: span or SPAN, wind, ice cover, %deflection, protection against squirrels or rodents, electrical potential (tracking effect).
- Types of ADSS cable fittings (suspension, retention, shock absorbers) and accessories for pole attachment.
- Flammability classes (LSZH, OFNG, OFNR, OFNP).
- In-house optical cables (CFOI, patch cord, pigtails, and drop).
- Type of optical splitters (FBT, PLC) and their different formats (non-connectorized, connectorized, LGX).
- Splice boxes (mechanical sealing and heat shrink).
- Optical terminal boxes (CTO) or Network Access Point (NAP).
- ODF (optical distribution frames).
- Distribution cabinets (FDH).
- Optical field connectors (mechanical and SOC-splice on the connector).
- Types of splicing machines (core alignment, cladding alignment, VGroove alignment).
- Main international standards (IEC, ANSI/TIA, Telcordia, etc.)
Module 2: Installation of passive FTTx elements
- Overhead (self-supported, self-wound) and subway (duct, direct buried, blown) optical cable laying.
- Installation of ADSS cable fittings and pole attachment accessories.
- Technical reservation of optical cables.
- Preparation of optical cables for direct and indent splicing.
- Splice box, CTO, and ODF assembly.
- Splice machine operation, configuration, maintenance and calibration.
- Fiber and optical connector cleaning techniques.
- Simple (900um pigtails, 250um-200um fibers, SOC) and bulk (Ribbon) splicing.
Module 3: Acceptance of FTTx optical network installations.
- Documentation, marking and splicing diagrams.
- Installation acceptance protocols.
- Module 3 laboratory practices.